Health Optimization Center Questions and Answers
Stay healthy as you age and discover the benefits of health optimization. Apollo Cardiology will help with your new health optimization plan. Call us today or visit us online to book an appointment. We are conveniently located at 7733 Forsyth Blvd, 11th Floor, St. Louis, MO 63105.
What is health optimization?
Health optimization is a program designed to help you feel your best through a comprehensive program that optimizes the body’s functions, minimizes the effects of aging-related health problems and helps you regain your energy and spark. A health optimization program will require the completion of a medical history, analysis of your blood hormone levels and an assessment and understanding of your personal goals as they relate to your overall health in order to build out a program that is best suited to your goals and current state. The goal of a health optimization program is to help you become the healthiest and best version of yourself, whatever that means to you. It could mean less stress, more time for the things you enjoy, better sleep, increased energy, a higher quality of life, more fulfilling relationships or a combination of some or all of those, and any other factors that will lead you to being the best version of yourself.
How do you optimize sleep?
It can be difficult to get a good’s night sleep with so many things going on in our lives and in our minds every waking moment of the day. Some things are out of our control, however by making a few small changes and creating specific habits and routines, we can optimize our sleep to get the most out of our time spent in bed each night.
- Set a sleep schedule and stick to it. As closely as possible, stick to a schedule of going to bed and getting up at the same time each day, including on the weekend, giving yourself 7-8 hours of sleep each night. If you can’t fall asleep within 20 minutes of going to bed, leave your bedroom and go elsewhere to read, listen to music or another relaxing activity. When you’re feeling tired, go back to bed.
- Watch what you eat and drink and monitor if it is affecting your sleep. Going to bed feeling stuffed or hungry will impact your sleep. Other substances such as caffeine, nicotine and alcohol can also have an effect on your sleep.
- Create an environment conducive to sleep, typically a room that is dark, quiet and cool. Avoid screens right before bed can help with sleep, as can earplugs, fans and blackout curtains, depending on what you need for the ideal sleep environment.
- Try to avoid or limit your daytime naps. Having too long of a nap or a nap late in the day can impact your sleep at night. If you do make the decision to have a nap, try to limit it to 30 minutes and keep it earlier in the day.
- Make physical activity a regular part of your day as physical activity promotes improved sleep. Fresh air can also help, so try to get outside each day.
- If stress or worries keep you up at night, start writing down the things that are bothering you before you go to bed and then set them aside to deal with the next day. Meditation and stress management can also help.
What are the benefits of Health Optimization?
Health optimization has many benefits to your overall physical, mental and spiritual health. Based on the idea of improving your health and lifestyle to create the best version of you possible and optimizing your life, the benefits of the program are a healthier, happier version of you. Each person’s goals for a health optimization program will be unique to them but with goals such as more energy, less stress, fulfilling relationships, higher quality of life and overall happiness, the benefits of the program are endless. Health optimization works with the patient’s current health and lifestyle, as well as their goals, to build a holistic program for improvement from the inside out and reversing the trend of focusing on medication as a treatment for better health.
How do you optimize diet?
Optimizing your diet can be simple if you know what to do and the considerations you should be looking at when choosing your food. An optimized diet focuses on eating as much healthy, natural food that encompasses a variety of food groups. Working with your doctor or a nutritionist can help with determining the proper amount of food to eat and from what food groups for optimal health. A diet focused on a mix of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, dairy products, lean meats and legumes, with less processed food will go a long way to feeling better physically and will also lead to improvements in your sleep, skin, hair and energy levels. Eating a diet focused on natural foods can also improve some health conditions such as high cholesterol, high blood pressure, overweight or obesity and reduce your risk for strokes and heart disease.
Interested in health optimization? At Apollo Cardiology in St Louis, MO, our team can help you reach your health goals throughout the year. Call us for more details or book an appointment online. We serve patients from St. Louis MO, Richmond Heights MO, Clayton MO, and Maplewood MO.